The COVID-19 pandemic effects on our Latino Community are significant. While LatinoBuilt supports all actions taken to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 outbreak, mitigation and adaptive efforts pose unforeseen barriers to resources and aid built for the betterment of our vibrant and thriving community. We are deeply concerned about the consequences of the predicted Coronavirus-lead recession, and the effects it will have on small businesses and workers in the Latino construction community. The Latino community is the demographic most vulnerable to an economic recession, and the most likely to experience unemployment and layoffs. These potential increased barriers to opportunity, and widespread socio economic instability can quickly compound and trap families in an unbreakable cycle of poverty.
Latinos are the largest demographic in the construction industry, yet are often the ones left without resources. We will continue to diligently advocate for our community addressing a support plan for the immediate, mid-term, and long-term needs of our community and efforts towards COVID-19 impact reduction. We are striving to avert an economic catastrophe and bolster recovery and long-term resiliency. LatinoBuilt will continue to provide immediate impactful assistance and be an essential and informed outlet for Latinos in the construction industry.
LatinoBuilt’s current actions include:
- Support System: We have developed a support network for our community with culturally sensitive methods of communications, focusing on pandemic response and the local economy.
- Virtual Communications: We have prioritized the transition of all of our bilingual (Spanish/English) communications, support, and training to online and virtual media.
- Resources: We are dedicated to serving as a resource for relevant information such as loan and grant funding, remote technology training, business support, employee education, and safety resources.
- Increased Collaboration: We are working together with partnering organizations to disseminate factual and current resources from funding to safety, to our community on COVID-19 in Spanish and English.
- Technical Tools: We have worked to assist in a technical assistance program capacity and to provide the needed tools to successfully conduct business in our new normal.
LatinoBuilt Executive Director and Board of Directors